How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dimitry K., Esq. Your Own Question
Dimitry K., Esq.
Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 41221
Experience:  I provide family and divorce law advice to my clients in my firm.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Dimitry K., Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Oklahoma 2015 graduated 18year old, can I stop child suppo

Customer Question

oklahoma 2015 graduated 18year old, can I stop child support?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question and thank you kindly for requesting me to assist you this afternoon.
If I may ask, how is child support listed in your agreement? Is the child going to college post high school? Please advise!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am researching without benifit of a copy of my papers at the moment.I know I am committed to paying until out of highschool, as I have a daughter who graduated 4 years ago, didn't go to college, yet I am still paying for her ! My son isn't sure of college at this time. Help me please !
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your follow-up.
You must get a copy of your support agreement to make sure because the support agreement tends to specify and can overrule default provisions in the law. Under Oklahoma law unless a court orders otherwise, child support
usually stops in Oklahoma when a child turns 18. If a child is 18 and is still in high school, child support continues until the child graduates or turns 20, whichever comes first. So if the child graduates, you can contact the agency that is collecting support, which should be the Oklahoma Department of Human Services, and seek to file a motion to terminate support. You can also call them directly o at one of these numbers: OKC area(###) ###-#### ***** area(###) ###-#### ***** free 1-***-***-****.
Dimitry, Esq.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
If I wasn't legally required to continue paying for my daughter, can that be credited to my back child support (currently owed to the state) because I was out of work for a year
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your follow-up.
I am sorry but that is not the case, any overage has to be pursued independently by you against the other parent, but won't be credited as payment against your arrears. Technically that money you owe is not to the state but the other parent, and the state only acts as a collection agency.
Dimitry, Esq.