Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Oklahoma 2015 graduated 18year old, can I stop child suppo…

Customer Question
oklahoma 2015 graduated 18year old...
oklahoma 2015 graduated 18year old, can I stop child support?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Family Law
6/12/2015
Family Lawyer: Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney replied 3 years ago
Thank you for your question and thank you kindly for requesting me to assist you this afternoon.
If I may ask, how is child support listed in your agreement? Is the child going to college post high school? Please advise!
I am researching without benifit of a copy of my papers at the moment.I know I am committed to paying until out of highschool, as I have a daughter who graduated 4 years ago, didn't go to college, yet I am still paying for her ! My son isn't sure of college at this time. Help me please !
Thank you for your follow-up.
You must get a copy of your support agreement to make sure because the support agreement tends to specify and can overrule default provisions in the law. Under Oklahoma law unless a court orders otherwise, child support
usually stops in Oklahoma when a child turns 18. If a child is 18 and is still in high school, child support continues until the child graduates or turns 20, whichever comes first. So if the child graduates, you can contact the agency that is collecting support, which should be the Oklahoma Department of Human Services, and seek to file a motion to terminate support. You can also call them directly o at one of these numbers: OKC area(###) ###-#### ***** area(###) ###-#### ***** free 1-***-***-****.
Sincerely,
Dimitry, Esq.
If I wasn't legally required to continue paying for my daughter, can that be credited to my back child support (currently owed to the state) because I was out of work for a year
Thank you for your follow-up.
I am sorry but that is not the case, any overage has to be pursued independently by you against the other parent, but won't be credited as payment against your arrears. Technically that money you owe is not to the state but the other parent, and the state only acts as a collection agency.
Sincerely,
Dimitry, Esq.