How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 11823
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was living in an apt 4 years with our daughter,i then we

Customer Question

i was living in an apt 4 years with our daughter,i then we bought h house, he aaalways clai8mjed them on his taxes, all his money. i collect ssd. he was d runk abusive and gambler. i stayed home to raise my kids. we have seperated and i want my half of the house, the kids had his name but my disability paid the mortgage.o he was qbusive, physically6 and mentally. his money was racing trips gambeling, etc, we did not marrie. i recieved grants to fix the bathroom to a rolling shower. then a few years later i applied for a grant of $42,000. to side the house widened do99or ways roof everything. i aswitched so maney jobs, he hats to be told what to do. he hit me so8 hard i spit a bloodclot the size of my paulm hes mental ussues alcohol problems. he kickrd me out and said i have no rihght for any of it, we lived as man awife. we have 3 kids grown. he wont give me any of the house, the grants were for me to live t here. right after the last grant he took out a bank loan to pay his b ills and build a deck and put in a htot tub. piece of crap what i want is to charge him to pay support for me. i strayed home when he traveled all overwith his friends, if were not married cant i get support
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Whose name was on the deed of the house? New York law since 1938 does not allow common law marriage regardless of how long a couple has been cohabiting or that they held themselves out as man and wife.
You do have some claim here, but it depends on whether or not your name is ***** ***** deed of the house as to what that claim would be.