How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask FamilyAnswer Your Own Question
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 27549
Experience:  10 + years of handling Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support cases
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
FamilyAnswer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 16 year old granddaughter is a ward of the state of Washington.

Customer Question

My 16 year old granddaughter is a ward of the state of Washington. I live in Arizona. I want to know if it is possible to get her relocated to live with me. I have left msg's with several attorney office in Washington but haven't heard anything. I don't even know if it is possible.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 2 years ago.
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.
Good morning. Would you mind sharing with me as to what happened, that caused this? Are neither of her parents present?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My son is the father. they divorced when Eliyah, granddaughter, was not quite 3. her mother moved family and I have only seen her once since. she contacted me a month or so ago. her mother had thrown her out and she had been living with stepfather but he can't keep her. mother in texas, stepfather in washington. has 1 year of high school left. mother would fight it, if she can, to keep her away from me. her father is disabled and has major health issues.
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the additional information. You would need to petition the court and see if you can gain custody/guardianship over the minor child. Ideally, the State would rather have the child be in the care of a relative, rather then the State, so if it was in the best interest of the child and you could show and prove your ability to care and support her, then they may allow it. The mother can not have it both ways, whereby she throws the child out and will not care for her yet objects to the State awarding the child to you, even though she wants her kept away. I could not seeing the court allowing the mother to say who the child goes to, when the mother wants nothing to do with the child. Moreover, if your son is unable to care for her and the step father as well, it would be reasonable for you to try and obtain her. This would have to be done through the courts, unless the State is able to determine and allow the child to be with you but relocating her out of State, would and could also be an issue.
Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 2 years ago.
I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you - but now I need to find an attorney in Washington.
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 2 years ago.
You are welcome. The Bar has an attorney referral service and I have provided you a link below, so you can contact them.