Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I AM FROM CHARLOTTE NC. I HAVE A SON IN THE VIRGINIA FACILITY.

Customer Question
I AM FROM CHARLOTTE NC...
I AM FROM CHARLOTTE NC. I HAVE A SON IN THE VIRGINIA FACILITY. HE HAS SERIOUS MEDICAL PROBLEMS. HE WAS DIAGNOSIS WITH DIABETICS AND HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE. SINCE HE HAS BEEN INCARCERATED; HE START HAVING BLACKOUTS. 3 WEEKS AGO HE STARTED DIALYSIS. WE USUALLY HEAR FROM HIM EVERY OTHER DAY. LAST SATURDAY HE INFORMED US THAT HE BECAME ILL FRIDAY NITE. HIS BP WAS VERY HIGH. WE TOLD HIM TO REST AND CALL BACK. AS OF TODAY, WE HAVE NOT HEARD FROM HIM. I HAVE CONTACTED THE FACILITY SINCE TUESDAY AND THEY REFUSED TO CONTACT ME. I JUST WANT TO KNOW HIS HEALTH STATUS. I AM AWARE OF SOME OF THEIR REGULATIONS. IS THERE ANYTHING I CAN DO? LULA MITCHELL @(***) ***-**** WORRY MOTHER
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Family Law
6/11/2015
Family Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 3 years ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
The facility is bound by confidentiality of medical information under HIPAA, so unless your son has previously signed a release for them to discuss his medical condition with you, they cannot give you the information on his health. You are going to need to physically go visit him and get him to sign a written release to allow the facility to release his health information to you or you will need to get his attorney to go meet with him to get this done if you cannot get in touch with your son to have him do so.
Furthermore, if he is not getting proper care in the facility, you may want to consider getting a local attorney in VA to file a motion in court to get your son moved to a medical facility that can properly care for his medical conditions.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
The family would like to pursue and the cost for representing my son. My #(###) ###-####
Thank you for your reply.
I am afraid that I must apologize, but State laws and also site policy forbids any expert from this site from engaging in representation of anyone from this site. You have to get a local attorney in VA to assist and you can find one at the same sites used by other attorneys, http://www.hg.org or http://www.lexmundi.com