How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask mmdesq Your Own Question
mmdesq, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 518
Experience:  Attorney with 13 years experience.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
mmdesq is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son in law turned my life into . He uses the history

Customer Question

My son in law turned my life into hell. He uses the history of my mental illness which is long time in remission in order to blackmail me with any reasons. He does not let me to see the grandkids and made my only daughter my enemy
In the past he already did similar thing falsely accusing me and because of that taking my grandson from his mom. She returned the child through the court.
It destroys my life and health, my employment ability and any area of my life
Is that possible to do something to stop that behavior?
Unfortunately I live in NYC, he lives in PA
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  mmdesq replied 2 years ago.
Good Morning:
I will try to help address the problem you are facing with your Son in Law.
If you wanted to bring the matter to court you would have standing to seek visitation rights with your grandchild. This would have to be filed in PA as that is the homestate of the child. There are two prongs under the grandparent custody statute. There is a prong for seeking primary custody and one for seeking only visitation. The prong for primary custody is much more difficult than the one for visitation. You will have standing as a grandparent to file a Complaint for Custody. The determination will be made best on what is in the best interest of your grandchild not what is in Father best interest.
I hope this is helpful.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** issue is different I'd like to stop abuse I experience from my son in law-blackmails on any issues, treating me as if I'm a mentally incompetent person
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
using false information, etc
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
can I file ANYTHING regarding my issue with his behavior towards me (not visitation right)? thanks
Expert:  mmdesq replied 2 years ago.
You can only control his behavior if it under a custody action regarding your interactions about the grandchild. For example, you can state that communication must be in writing by email or text and the communication can not be derogatory, disparaging or harassing. Absent the custody issue you could file a criminal complaint for harassment through the police but that would likely lead to no contact with your grandchild.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
if take grandkids out of the picture NOTHING can be done,between US TWO ,right? we still connected by my daughter
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
even if he made her my enemy....we still 'in some destructive relationship" affecting my health
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
and the whole life
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no consequences for that kind of mental/emotional abuse? thanks
Expert:  mmdesq replied 2 years ago.
The only other option would be a civil claim for money damages as a result of intention infliction of emotional distress.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
sorry, but it's too late
my Q was not for visitation rights
I went to another place and got the satisfying answer
I paid deposit, but didn't give any approval for other amount which was charged
Expert:  mmdesq replied 2 years ago.
I am glad that your question was answered.

Related Family Law Questions