Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

My son in law turned my life into . He uses the history

Customer Question
My son in law turned...
My son in law turned my life into hell. He uses the history of my mental illness which is long time in remission in order to blackmail me with any reasons. He does not let me to see the grandkids and made my only daughter my enemy
In the past he already did similar thing falsely accusing me and because of that taking my grandson from his mom. She returned the child through the court.
It destroys my life and health, my employment ability and any area of my life
Is that possible to do something to stop that behavior?
Unfortunately I live in NYC, he lives in PA
Thanks
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Family Law
6/11/2015
Family Lawyer: mmdesq, Family Law Attorney replied 2 years ago
mmdesq
mmdesq, Family Law Attorney
Good Morning:
I will try to help address the problem you are facing with your Son in Law.
If you wanted to bring the matter to court you would have standing to seek visitation rights with your grandchild. This would have to be filed in PA as that is the homestate of the child. There are two prongs under the grandparent custody statute. There is a prong for seeking primary custody and one for seeking only visitation. The prong for primary custody is much more difficult than the one for visitation. You will have standing as a grandparent to file a Complaint for Custody. The determination will be made best on what is in the best interest of your grandchild not what is in Father best interest.
I hope this is helpful.
Thanks, ***** ***** issue is different I'd like to stop abuse I experience from my son in law-blackmails on any issues, treating me as if I'm a mentally incompetent person
using false information, etc
can I file ANYTHING regarding my issue with his behavior towards me (not visitation right)? thanks
You can only control his behavior if it under a custody action regarding your interactions about the grandchild. For example, you can state that communication must be in writing by email or text and the communication can not be derogatory, disparaging or harassing. Absent the custody issue you could file a criminal complaint for harassment through the police but that would likely lead to no contact with your grandchild.
if take grandkids out of the picture NOTHING can be done,between US TWO ,right? we still connected by my daughter
even if he made her my enemy....we still 'in some destructive relationship" affecting my health
and the whole life
no consequences for that kind of mental/emotional abuse? thanks
The only other option would be a civil claim for money damages as a result of intention infliction of emotional distress.
sorry, but it's too late
my Q was not for visitation rights
I went to another place and got the satisfying answer
I paid deposit, but didn't give any approval for other amount which was charged
Thanks
I am glad that your question was answered.
mmdesq
mmdesq
mmdesq, Family Law Attorney