Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My divorce was final last October. It was end of a 30 year…

Customer Question
My divorce was final last...
My divorce was final last October. It was end of a 30 year marriage. We settled through a compatible divorce process. I only got a small settlement. We had a money management business together and an office building that was under water at the time. My husband lied about what our business was worth. I got small amount out of house and he took the business and building that was suppose to be under water. He is now thinking of selling it. All the sudden it is now worth quite a lot of money. Can I take him back to court?
I had relinquished ownership because of the liability.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Family Law
6/9/2015
Family Lawyer: FamilyAnswer, Lawyer replied 3 years ago
FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.
Good afternoon. Did you simply rely on what he said it was worth or did you perform your due diligence and get a value of it, from a third party? Do you have evidence to show he provided you with numbers to show it value or he simply said it was worth X?
No I did not I was to stressed out. I believed him.
Guess I can always go after more alimony? Assuming this will be up to his discretion to share with me?
Thank you for the reply. It is a tough situation. The reason why I say this is because there was an obligation on you, to determine and check out what the value of the business was worth. If you simply relied on him, it may be your own fault. However, if he lied, mislead you and truly hid the value of the business, then there could be grounds if you can show fraud or misrepresentation. You also want to keep in mind, that it is possible, that at the time the business was worth X and something changed over the past few months, to now make it worth Y. If that is the case and there was something going on with the business that he hid from you, knowing this, that may also give you a legal basis to go back and get a share. In addition, if there is nothing in writing about what he told you, it is going to be your word against his. You would truly need an expert to come in and look at the financials of the business at the time, to try and determine what it was really worth and if he knew this or shared with you the value, in good faith. You can confront him on this and if he denies it, then would need to try and modify the alimony award.
Thank you
You are welcome. Please let me know if there is anything else, as I would be happy to respond. If not, please rate my help at this time, so I can receive the proper credit. Thank you.
Question answered. Thank you!
You are welcome. I kindly just ask that you rate my help prior to leaving, so I can get credit. Thank you again.