How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Seattle Scott Your Own Question
Seattle Scott
Seattle Scott, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 961
Experience:  I have 25 years experience as a Washington State Family Law Attorney.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Seattle Scott is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If the father of your child files , would if be

Customer Question

If the father of your child files for paternity, would if be possible to print out the acknowledgment of paternity paperwork have it signed and notarized to throw out the court case in the state of Florida? Can the father make us come back to Florida sense we have moved to Michigan, we are established residents and we have good reasons for moving up north. My oldest sons father and I have been split up sense our son was 8 months old. We verbally arranged our own custody between us, never involved the courts due to not wanting a big custody battle debate. My fiancé and I, my youngest sons father and I are in the process of buying our house and It is a better environment for both of my kids. Can you please lead me in the right direction so I know we are all covered. I would prefer not to get in any kind of legal trouble because of this issue at hand. Please help me, help my family. Thank you.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Seattle Scott replied 2 years ago.
Florida retains jurisdiction over custody issues for 6 months after the child leaves the state. This is pursuant to the uniform child Custody jurisdiction act passed in all the states. So if you have only been in Michigan for a month or so, yes the father can file for a formal paternity determination and custody order in Florida and you have to respond in the Florida Court. That is not to say that the Florida court would make you return the child to the father, or order that the father continue to have the same visitation he had before the move. But the specific answer to your question is, that even if paternity is determined by agreement by way of acknowledgment affidavit, Florida still has jurisdiction to determine custody and visitation and child support so long as the father files a case there in the next 5 months.