Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My wife and I had a arguement. She took our 12 year old daughter…

Customer Question
My wife and I...
My wife and I had a arguement. She took our 12 year old daughter without my consent out of the state of new mexico and took her to el paso texas (approx 100 miles from where we live). I havent made a big deal out of it because i thought she woulld cool off and come back. My wife just started a job in el paso texas approx. 1 month ago. Ive only been able to see my daughter a couple of times. I want to spend some time with my daughter and take my daughter on a mini vacation and my wife says no. What can i do?
We are not leagally seperated or anything like that. thank you T.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Family Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/9/2015
Family Lawyer: LegalGems, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
LegalGems
LegalGems, Lawyer
Good Day! I'll do my best to assist you. Please remember: I only provide general information and a local attorney should always be consulted.
I am sorry to hear this; a few minutes please as I look into this.
Thank you for your patience.
Under the UCCJEA ( a child custody jurisdiction federal act), the state with "home state" jurisdiction is the state where the child has resided for the past 6 months.
Therefore, if the child has not resided in the new state for longer than 6 months, then the child's home state has continuing and exclusive jurisdiction.
As such, a parent can bring a custody/visitation action (no divorce required) in the child's home state. If the other parent has taken the child out of state, the court will direct that parent to return to the child's home state so that the proper court can exercise jurisdiction.
In considering the best interests of the child, the court considers many factors, and that will determine custody/visitation.
The factors the court will consider include:
(1)the wishes of the child's parent or parents as to his custody;
(2) the wishes of the child as to his custodian;
(3) the interaction and interrelationship of the child with his parents, his siblings and any other person who may significantly
affect the child's best interest;
(4) the child's adjustment to his home, school and community; and
(5) the mental and physical health of all individuals involved.
Additionally if a court deems that a parent is engaging in parental alienation (purposefully alienating the child and other parent's relationship) that will be taken into consideration as that is generally considered detrimental to the child.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have further questions please be sure and respond before rating. If you have no further questions, Kindly rate positively so that the site is permitted to credit my account for assisting you- there is no additional charge for a positive rating and it is most appreciated.
Without a positive rating, I receive no compensation for assisting you this evening.
Thank you and take care!
Here is a link to help locate an attorney:
www.findlegalhelp.org and http://apps.americanbar.org/legalservices/findlegalhelp/home.cfm
Of course, should you have other questions please do not hesitate to post here.
If you found the information I provided useful, kindly rate positive as that is the only way the site is allowed to credit me so that I am compensated for the time I spent- which does not result in additional charges to the customer.
Thank you for extending this courtesy as I am an individual contributor so ratings are quite important , and take care!
LegalGems
LegalGems
LegalGems, Lawyer