How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 29986
Experience:  Attorney with experience in family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can a father of a nonmarried couple take the child without

Customer Question

can a father of a nonmarried couple take the child without a court order in iowa
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 2 years ago.

My name is ***** ***** I'd be happy to answer your questions today.
If the father is on the birth certificate or has signed an acknowledgment of paternity, then he and the mother have equal rights to the child until there is a court order in place. That doesn't mean that the father has MORE rights than the mother, so he can't simply show up and insist upon taking the child (or vice versa). If the father appeared at the mother's home and tried to take the child be force, she could call the police - and they would tell him to get a court order.
In a situation where both parents want to be part of the child's life, it's often better to get a court order early on so everyone's rights and obligations are firmly established. It's often easier to avoid an issue that way, and that's the best way to ensure that the custodial parent is getting adequate support for the child.
If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.