Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Do I need to get an attorney to revise a stipulated custody…

Customer Question
Do I need to get...
Do I need to get an attorney to revise a stipulated custody agreement that I was served if I do not agree to some of the stipulations.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Family Law
6/8/2015
Family Lawyer: Maverick, Lawyer replied 3 years ago
Maverick
Maverick, Lawyer
No, if you do not agree with some of the proposed terms in the agreement, you can make the changes you see fit and send them back as points for negotiation. You do not have to sign the proposed stipulated terms until both sides can agree on the wording of the stipulations. On areas where there is no agreement either the court or the jury will eventually have to decide those fact issues.
Please assign a feedback rating so JA will compensate me for my time. You are free to ask follow-up questions thereafter at no charge. Please allow up to 24 hours for a follow-up response if I am signed off.
If, for some reason, you are not satisfied with the answer, I would appreciate knowing why so that I can try to clear up any misunderstanding that may have taken place. Also, if you need a refund, just let me know and I will inform JA on your behalf. Finally, you may request me in the future by beginning the question with "THIS IS FOR MAVERICK".
Thank you for using Just Answer. Best wishes for 2015!
The stipulated agreement came with a letter from my son's father's attorney and I have 10 days to respond. Can I call his attorney and let him know that I do not agree to the terms? Or do I need to write it out and send it to the attorney?
Yes, you an call and let the attorney know that you do not agree; but since that leaves things to chance and manipulation, I would recommend that you send the lawyer a letter by fax, email, or certified mail stating that you do not agree to the proposed stipulations.
Maverick
Maverick
Maverick, Lawyer