How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Maverick Your Own Question
Maverick, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 6423
Experience:  20 years of professional experience
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Maverick is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Do I need to get an attorney to revise a stipulated custody

Customer Question

Do I need to get an attorney to revise a stipulated custody agreement that I was served if I do not agree to some of the stipulations.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Maverick replied 2 years ago.
No, if you do not agree with some of the proposed terms in the agreement, you can make the changes you see fit and send them back as points for negotiation. You do not have to sign the proposed stipulated terms until both sides can agree on the wording of the stipulations. On areas where there is no agreement either the court or the jury will eventually have to decide those fact issues.
Please assign a feedback rating so JA will compensate me for my time. You are free to ask follow-up questions thereafter at no charge. Please allow up to 24 hours for a follow-up response if I am signed off.
If, for some reason, you are not satisfied with the answer, I would appreciate knowing why so that I can try to clear up any misunderstanding that may have taken place. Also, if you need a refund, just let me know and I will inform JA on your behalf. Finally, you may request me in the future by beginning the question with "THIS IS FOR MAVERICK".
Thank you for using Just Answer. Best wishes for 2015!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The stipulated agreement came with a letter from my son's father's attorney and I have 10 days to respond. Can I call his attorney and let him know that I do not agree to the terms? Or do I need to write it out and send it to the attorney?
Expert:  Maverick replied 2 years ago.
Yes, you an call and let the attorney know that you do not agree; but since that leaves things to chance and manipulation, I would recommend that you send the lawyer a letter by fax, email, or certified mail stating that you do not agree to the proposed stipulations.