How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask mmdesq Your Own Question
mmdesq, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 518
Experience:  Attorney with 13 years experience.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
mmdesq is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I'm 17 years old and have run away from a mentally abusive

Customer Question

I'm 17 years old and have run away from a mentally abusive environment. I'm currently living with my Sister and Brother in law in another state. I'm a good kid that was steps away from my eagle scout with plans to enlist with the Marines. My Mother doesn't want me to join the Marines and now refuses to turn over all of my necessary legal documents....even after I turn 18 in a couple weeks. What can I do to force her hand in getting these documents? They have my birth certificate, passport, social security card etc... I have nothing. Not even a state ID card. My Sister and Brother in law suggested sending them a "demand Letter" to see if that would get them to turn over the docs. Just need some advice. Social security office is of no help since I don't have any other forms of ID. Can't get my birth certificate without a parental social security number. Just feel like I'm out of luck! Thanks
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  mmdesq replied 2 years ago.
Go adult After Afternoon
I would suggest you consider filing a petition for emancipation. I am assuming that you do not have the funds to hire a private attorney. I would suggest you contact the Bar Association for the county in which you reside and inquire about representation for indigents. By filing a petition for emancipation you can be determined to be adult and obtain copies of your necessary documentation without their permission.
option 2 - you could advise your parents that it you are going to have your sister file a complaint for primary physical custody and child support for you until your 18th birthday or when you graduate from high school any event did you not turn over your paper work voluntarily. you can further advised that you will contact the local Department of Child Services to report the allegations of abuse. this will create a financial and legal pressure upon them to comply with your request for documents. Your sister would be in a position to seek custody of you on the theory of in loco parentis. I hope this information is helpful and wish you the best of luck.