How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 116797
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My child support obligations ended with the emancipation of my younges

Customer Question

My child support obligations ended with the emancipation of my youngest child in 2009. In 2012 I lost my job and several months later, I was incarcerated (federal). I was released from federal prison on 30 March 2015 and remain on probation (3 years). I have been unable to secure employment due to my criminal history (unlawful prescribing of controlled medicines) and lost my license to practice medicine due to my felony conviction (pled guilty). I am physically disabled due to a neurologic disorder similar to MS (CIDP) and have applied for social security disability. Since I have no source of income, I am living with my sister and brother-in-law. My sister helped me open a bank account but it has now been frozen by the NJ administrative enforcement unit of the Office of Child Support for unpaid alimony since losing my job in 2012 ($76,000). My question:
1. How do child support regulations allow NJ to freeze my limited funds ($430) for unpaid alimony?
Thank you, ***** *****
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes.
The NJ regulations are for "family support," which encompasses child support and spousal support. Under NJ regulations, NJ Child Support Enforcement Services is responsible for the collection of both child support and spousal support.
You need to consider having your sister open an account in her name where you can keep your funds, since an account in her name could not be seized for your debt.