Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Licensed experienced Attorney
26296561

Did I void a restraining order against my mentally ill drugged

Customer Question

Did I void a restraining order against my mentally ill drugged addicted daughter if I let her stay with me for two months while awaiting a court date for the order to be lifted. She was doing well on a new medication and had no where to go in the dead of winter. However, before the removal court date occured, she became very ill again from drug use. I asked the judge not to remove the order. There is confusion with the sheriff's dept whether the order was voided when I let her stay. Some officers say yes, some no. If yes, do I have to submit eviction paper work to the courts as well?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to answer your question.
I am sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation.
While I cannot comment on your specific situation, generally, if the person who has the restraining order, allows the person who is subject to the restraining order to stay at her place of residence, then the restraining order would be considered void and the person would have to file for an eviction in order to get the tenant removed from the house.
I wish you the best of luck!