How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Barrister Your Own Question
Barrister, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 36982
Experience:  Attorney with 16 years experience
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Barrister is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My wife and I broke up last year bit. During that time

Customer Question

My wife and I broke up last year for a bit. During that time she had a relationship. Now she is pregnant with the guys child, He is not responsible and says he wanted her to have abortion. Me and my wife are back together and I will accept this baby as my own and provide best life. My wife wants mus to raise the child as ours. However the baby's father is not mentally stable. has not been around and we had to call police once . My wife wants no part of him and does not want him to be part of baby s life. we are concerned that this guy will cause trouble . what can my wife do to get this guy out of her life and let us raise child.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.
As long as you are placed on the birth certificate as the father, then you would be considered the presumptive father of the child. The other person would have to file a formal paternity action in court if he wanted to dispute that presumption and try to establish his own rights to the child. The statute of limitations doesn't run out until the child turns 18, so the other person could file a paternity case up until them.
But until he does so, he has no rights at all and if he came around, you could seek a restraining order against him to prevent any contact with you.