How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask S. Huband, Esq. Your Own Question
S. Huband, Esq.
S. Huband, Esq., Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 1628
Experience:  Experienced, and knowledgeable family law attorney.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
S. Huband, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My daughter has had her daughter {5} placed with dhs foster

Customer Question

My daughter has had her daughter {5} placed with dhs foster care. im afraid well loose her .ive been there since she was born & have spent lots & lots of time with her.shes even lived with me. ill take care of her & she loves me as much as do do i not loose her? her mother is upset with everyone, afraid of who will take her. please help. i moved in w/my mom. she also watched & had her live with her . we both want her to live here. we have the means. her clothes for school,toys, own bedroom decorated the way she likes it. shes even called me mom by accident. whats the best move ?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i dont want to hurt my daughter, she lost a son to sid at 9 wks old. she trys & gives her lots of love, she just didnt see this coming. now shes worried of losing her _____even to me
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
im not rich, but im smart enough & full of love, 54 yrs. old.. granddaughter is 51/2. i raised 3 girls plus half the neighborhood {ha,ha} lots of fun. Im listed as disabled, I still get around. with " LOTS OF TIME " on my hands. I have 2 other beautiful grandchildren
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
maybe i need to check why your address is saying false really-? please dont be a ripp off!!!!!
Expert:  S. Huband, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the opportunity to assist you.
Q) How do I not lose her? What's the best move?
Generally, when DHS takes a child out of custody of the parent, the parent will have the opportunity to get custody back if the parent follows a plan for reunification. That's not always the case, but often it is. This means the parent will probably have 6 months to a year to have supervised visitation, go to parenting classes, and address and correct whatever issues that got DHS involved in the first place.
During the time the parent is working on these things, the child will have to be placed somewhere. The preference generally is to place the child with a relative. Since you're a relative, you may qualify, assuming DHS approves you as a foster parent temporarily. The other choice would be to place the child in foster care with strangers. This is only done when there is no relative with whom a placement is appropriate.
Contact the caseworker at DHS who's handling the case. Tell her you'd like to be considered for placement with the child. They'll have to do a home study, interview you, etc. It may involve some time and going to court. In the end, however, it's the judge's decision where the child is placed. DHS can make a recommendation, you can make a request, but the judge will make the call at some point.
I hope my response has been helpful. If you have follow-up questions or concerns on this topic, please ask. I'll get back to you as quickly as I can, although I may not be online at the moment you respond.
Otherwise, I hope you will rate my answer positively as that is the ONLY way I receive credit for my work, and doing so will NOT cost you an additional fee.
Best wishes to you, Customer