Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

We have completed testimony in our divorce trial. Written summations…

Customer Question
We have completed testimony in...
We have completed testimony in our divorce trial. Written summations go in shortly then the judge will decide among other things maintenance and child support. We stipulated after 5 days of a 12 day trial on joint custody with 50/50 access schedule. I am the residential parent for school district purposes only. I am staying in the martial residence the mother is relocating and can go up to 5 miles outside of the school district. I may a good living the mother is very educated but currently not working. Judge as imputed income to her but about a 1/3 of what I make. What I don't understand is we have stipulated on custody and neither one of us is custodial so how can she get child support and I am told that even with 50/50 she could get full child support. This doesn't seem fair to me.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Family Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/7/2015
Family Lawyer: Roger, Attorney replied 3 years ago
Roger, Attorney
Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'm a Family Law litigation attorney. Thanks for your question. I'll be glad to assist.
Generally, if you are the higher wage earner, you'd likely be considered the non-custodial parent for child support purposes, but courts generally order the paying parent to pay a pro rata share of the child support.....but it is possible that the court could adjust that amount based on the facts of your case.
Here's a good link you can read: http://www.sarilaw.com/Articles/Child_Support/Calculating_Child_Support.aspx

thank you this link is good stuff I will forward it to my attorney to help with for summations.

No problem and thanks for allowing me to assist. If you need anything, just let me know.