How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 11806
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I'm looking divorce attorney with experience with

Customer Question

I'm looking for a divorce attorney with experience with federal government employees in the Portland area- ideally licensed in WA. Much of my case has to do with the federal government, from dividing things like the benefits to obtaining many different
types of records pertaining to my case. Should I find an attorney who specializes in this (and need some direction here) or use any attorney and find someone who can consult on it. If someone consults on it or helps with the paperwork in filing records requests,
subpoenas, etc. and doing things like QDROs etc,, does the attorney need to have license in the state where the case is? I'm looking for suggestions for attorneys with good experience in this.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lawrence D. Gorin replied 2 years ago.
Please provide a summary of the legal problem you are confronting. What are you trying to accomplish? What do you want a lawyer to do for you? What do you want a judge to do for you? Does your legal problem arise from a divorce? If so, did the divorce occur in Oregon? Or did it occur in Washington? Please explain.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Legal problem is divorce. Much of the case (finances and assets etc) in some fashion involves an aspect of the fed gov. First, wondering if best to find an atty with experience with fed gov. or to find someone to help and consult on fed gov aspects. Divorce case in WA and has started - months ago. If it doesn't matter where an atty is licensed to either consult or assist on case, then looking for someone licensed anywhere but preferably close by in the PDX area. To accomplish in case in re to fed gov: lots of discovery, subpoena certain judgement records pertinent to the case from gov, divide the 3 federal retirements, other fed things like getting continuing Heath insurance coverage language, etc. Looking for someone who knows proper language and procedures so I (employee's spouse who was the nonworking one) will be covered with some benefits, retirement assets can be divided properly so I will have some sort of retirement , and finding someone who knows the federal laws in re to discovery and getting records through subpoenas which have crucial info to the case. Other aspects of the divorce case include the 'big three.' Spouse not producing records or information and is generally noncooperative and counter-cooperative. Running into a lot of fed gov aspects that are in need of someone detailed and knowledgable in that area and who can navigate or help navigate this as it is falling to me to advise and be the expert, of which I am wholly not. I am concerned as this involves the main finances and assets, and my only retirement benefits and I am in need of help to find someone experienced.
Expert:  Lawrence D. Gorin replied 2 years ago.
"Much of the case (finances and assets etc) in some fashion involves an aspect of the fed gov. * * *
Apologies for not being sufficiently explicit in my prior request for information. In hindsight, I should have said: "Please provide a summary of the CASE FACTS that you are confronting." (From what you have already said, I still have no idea of what you are talking about.
I assume you have a pending Washington divorce case. Please confirm.
Do you have a Washington divorce lawyer currently representing you?
For how long have you been married?
I assume you husband was or now is a federal employee who is now receiving (or may be eligible to receive) an employee annuity under either the CSRS program or the FERS program.
If he is now in pay status, was an election made for a survivor annuity?
To what does the "big three" refer? (This phrase has made different interpretations, and I am not inclined to engage in guesswork.)
Specifically, what "many different types of records" pertaining to you case are you seeking to obtain? (Simply telling me that "many different types of records" are needed really tells me nothing.)
"Subpoena certain judgement records" likewise is rather vague. Specifically, WHAT judgment records are you talking about?
I am most experienced and knowledgable with the division of federal employee benefits and their division incident to dissolution of marriage, and I knows proper language and procedures. Been doing this for 25+ years. However, I am not a member of the Washington bar, so I may not be all that helpful afterall.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Apologies for the vagueness; I'm a bit hesitant in putting up too many details in open forum.
Can you still help me though and steer me in a direction?
Would you recommend finding a main attorney who is versed in fed gov aspects (don't know how common that is) or finding one who could consult on those aspects? Can an OR atty consult and/or help draft papers for another state? Could you give me some names of attorneys versed with fed gov., either as a main attorney (licensed in WA) or to consult and help draft fed gov. aspects (unsure where license would need to be)? Are you saying you could not help draft documents or consult yourself as you are not a part of WA bar? If you are able to, I would love to consult with you. Thank you
Expert:  Lawrence D. Gorin replied 2 years ago.
I cannot to steer you in a direction when I have no specific idea as to which direction it is in which to go.
For example, "a main attorney who is versed in fed gov aspects." Well, OK, let's try Loretta Lynch, the Atty. General of the United States. She is certainly "a main attorney who is versed in fed gov aspects."
Let's me try again: Specifically and exactly WHAT particular "federal government aspects" do you have in mind??
Also, an Oregon attorney (like me)may, or may not, be able to draft papers for another state. Much depends on specifically and exactly WHAT "papers" it is which you are referring. And right now, I have no clue.
I know many, many attorneys "versed with fed gov." Indeed, MOST attorneys are versed with fed. gov. It would be helpful to know which part of the vast "federal government" you have in mind. Dept. of Defense? FBI? TSA? National Park System? OHSA? Post Office? Dept. of Justice? NOAA? Again, WHAT aspects of the federal government do you have in mind? (I cannot be of much help without your telling me what you have in mind. You know your case, whereas I only know what you tell me, and so far I am still pretty much in the dark.)
I really want to be of help but I cannot do so without more detailed and specific information.