Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

I AM DIVORCED YEARS NOW, WITH JOINT CUSTODY.HE HAS

Customer Question
I AM DIVORCED FOR 2...
I AM DIVORCED FOR 2 YEARS NOW, WITH JOINT CUSTODY.
HE HAS NOT DONE HIS PART. I DID NOT FILE FOR CHILD SUPPORT AT THAT TIME. BUT MY INCOME NOW HAS GREATLY DECREASED AND I AM SHOULDERING EVERYTHING FOR THE KIDS. THIS IS NOT FAIR. HE HAD NOT GONE FOR VISITATION, NO FOOD NOR ASSISTANCE IN SCHOOL EXPENSES, NONE WITH DENTAL AND VISION, AS IF HE HAS ABANDONED HIS REPOSISBILTIES. HIS REASONS, HE HAS NOT ENOUGH MONEY. WELL ME TOO, BUT I AM TRYING MY BEST TO MEET BOTH ENDS, BRINGING MY KIDS ALONE, EMOTINALLY, PSYCHOLOGICAL FINANCIALLY. I WANT TO REINFORCE AND CHANGE TE DECRREE. I WANT TO HAVE CHILD SUPPORT, AND ARREARS. WHAT MUST I DO,
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Family Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/6/2015
Family Lawyer: Roger, Attorney replied 2 years ago
Roger, Attorney
Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'm a Family Law litigation attorney. Thanks for your question. I'll be glad to assist.
In order to require him to pay child support, you'll have to file a petition in the family law court where the child lives. The petition will ask the court to order the non-custodial parent to pay the child support required by law. The judge should order him to pay the support, and it can be retro-active......at least back to the time you file the petition.
But, in order to get things moving, you'll need to see a local lawyer and have him/her get your petition filed so you can get things moving and obtain the support your child deserves.
Roger, Attorney