Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  I provide family and divorce law advice to my clients in my firm.
18572087

I live in the state of Kentucky. I am pregnant. They test both

Customer Question

I live in the state of Kentucky. I am pregnant. They test both the mother and the baby when the baby is born for any illegal drugs. I am fearful that they will find traces of THC in mine or my babies system when she is born. What will happen? Will they take my baby from me? What are the exact consequences?
Category: Family Law
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I also know that once anything comes back positive for THC, hospital is required to contact CPS. Will CPS take my baby from me? What will they require I do to keep my baby?
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.
The answers I will provide will likely not be favorable so I ask that you do not blame the messenger.
If THC is found, the hospital has no choice but to contact CPS. Then CPS makes a determination as to whether or not the child is unsafe, and yes, if they see that the amounts are substantial, they can take the child away and place the child either with a relative or with a foster family. They would then require proof that you have cleaned up, specifically that you are taking drug treatment classes and/or joined groups such as NA. Furthermore you can be charged with neglect and child endangerment if the child is born with medical problems or conditions caused from dug use. The latter is unlikely but it is potentially possible.
Sincerely,
Dimitry, Esq.