How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask N Cal Attorney Your Own Question
N Cal Attorney
N Cal Attorney, Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 9396
Experience:  since 1983
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
N Cal Attorney is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son's divorce decree in Tennessee says that he was in the

Customer Question

My son's divorce decree in Tennessee says that he was in the state and failed to show up for the hearing. He hadn't been in the state for over 6 months. His lawyer was only given the preliminary decree one day prior to the hearing. He has never been served with a child support agreement. Does he have any way to challenge the false statements and get proof that a temporary child support was ever served
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  N Cal Attorney replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
The usual remedy is to file a motion to vacate the judgment as void for lack of notice.
He had the due process right to prior notice of the case.
"A judgment rendered in violation of due process is void". World-Wide Volkswagen Corp. v. Woodson (1980) 444 U.S. 286, 291.
He can get a free consultation from some of the divorce attorneys listed by location at
If his current attorney is not aware of how to handle this, he might want to retain new counsel.
I hope this information is helpful.