How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 11759
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I hired a disability lawyer in 2012. I was adjudicated incompetent

Customer Question

I hired a disability lawyer in 2012. I was adjudicated incompetent in 2013 and had a legal guardian who dismissed the attorney and represented my disability. I was later adjudicated competent in 2014 and in march 2015 and was awarded disability benefits back to November 2012. The lawyer has filed a petition for fees and I still have not received my back pay. Is he entitled to fees.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Chris T., JD replied 2 years ago.
Hello. I'll be happy to assist you.
So, the attorney was dismissed in 2013? Do you know what sort of fee arrangement was originally set up with the lawyer?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Chris T., JD replied 2 years ago.
I'm sorry, but I can only communicate with you on this Q & A forum. If you'd like a phone call, I'll have to opt out. Would you like me to do that?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No I would not like you to opt out. I was a severe alcoholic and was adjudicated incompetent sometime after signing an agreement hiring an attorney to help me get disability for an injury I sustained. I was in a hospital,nursing home, and an assisted living for months. Iam now a recovering alcoholic. I don't recall signing an agreement for a lawyer to get fees from my ssdi backpay benefits.
Expert:  Chris T., JD replied 2 years ago.
The first thing you need to do is get a copy of the fee agreement with the lawyer and read it carefully. You may have agreed to this happening. If not, you will have to oppose his efforts to collect in this matter in court.

Related Family Law Questions