How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 31687
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How do I become my grandchild's legal custodian?

Customer Question

How do I become my grandchild's legal custodian?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Roger replied 2 years ago.
Hi - thanks for your question. I'll be glad to assist.
Where are the parents?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
daughter moved out today left grand daughter with me biological dad not in her life
Expert:  Roger replied 2 years ago.
Ok. Thanks for the information.
In order to take over legal custody, you'd have to file a petition for guardianship with the court for the county where the child lives. You'd have to allege to the court that both parents are unable to care for the child and that you should be appointed in order to attend to the child's needs.
You would have to either serve the parents or have them sign a waiver. If the father's whereabouts are not known, you should be able to issue a summons by publication.

Related Family Law Questions