How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Loren Your Own Question
Loren, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34473
Experience:  30 plus years of experience.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Loren is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If I moved a girlfriend into my house, we became engaged but

Customer Question

If I moved a girlfriend into my house, we became engaged but things are not working out. She pays nothing, I totally support her but she does have a job. I've ask her to leave, she won't. I realize I would have to evict her. Would I be responsible for continued support? How long does she have to live there before it's consider her residence, and I have heard we are consider married. Is this true?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Loren replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am Loren, a Florida licensed attorney, and I will do whatever I can to answer your question.
Florida does not have any legal requirement to support a fiance after a broken engagement. They are not spouses. Absent a contractual arrangement, you can both go your separate ways without further contact.
I hope this is helpful. If you have any follow up questions feel free to post them. It is never a problem.
Thank you.