How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dimitry K., Esq. Your Own Question
Dimitry K., Esq.
Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 41221
Experience:  I provide family and divorce law advice to my clients in my firm.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Dimitry K., Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am the Aunt of a 4 year old special needs child. Mother is

Customer Question

I am the Aunt of a 4 year old special needs child. Mother is drug abuser father is 2xconvict. Both have charges of charges against handicap or seniors..I have had child for 2 years with no support from either parent. Mother has committed fraud against medicare and food stamps, father just release. I got cpi.involved, told they can have child anytime they want. I am a licensed childcare with Florida. Because of the extreme behaviors of child I fear for her well being, stability and emotional support needed. Have not received any financial support from either of them. It it possible to go for custody?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.
To answer directly, you can indeed file for guardianship, which if granted will grant you custody of the children. Since guardianship is based on what the courts see as being in the 'best interest of the child', focusing on the unfitness of both parents (specifically neglect, outstanding criminality and charges, drug use, and lack of stability) would go a long way toward proving that you are a good candidate for custody under the circumstances. Furthermore, getting CPS involves will also be most helpful as they can testify and further give their recommendations.
Dimitry, Esq.

Related Family Law Questions