How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alex J. Esq. Your Own Question
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 16721
Experience:  Licensed experienced Attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Alex J. Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have basically had my granddaughter first five years.

Customer Question

I have basically had my granddaughter for her first five years. Her mother is gone and only spends approx. 15 to 20 hours a week with her. Now she has informed me that she will be moving with her to a place where she just spent a 5 day weekend and met somebody. I have read all the things a judge will take into consideration such as who bathes, attends activities, reads etc...and not a single thing would fall under her mother. I am devastated to think she will tear her from everyone and everything she knows and loves. Is there anything I can do legally to stop her from taking my granddaughter who has depended on me since day one. She currently shares the same address but has lived separately from her most of her life.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to answer your question.
I am sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation.
Was the legal custody of the child ever under the court review?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your follow up.
Unfortunately, generally, grandparents do not have any legal custody / visitation rights and unless the mother pose serious threat of harm to the child or has an extensive history of child abuse / neglect, that can be demonstrated in family court by clear evidence, I am afraid there would generally not be any legal recourse for a grandparent in a similar situation.
I am very sorry to provide you with this bad news, but please understand that I do have professional obligation to provide customers with correct answers, even when answer is not favorable to the customer.
I wish you the best of luck and God bless you!
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Do you have any related follow up questions?
If not, please positively rate and accept my answer, so I can be compensated for my work.
Thank you.