How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 31770
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was forced last year by my ex husband to abdicate on my spouse

Customer Question

i was forced last year by my ex husband to abdicate on my spouse support and he forced me to sign a paper , giving me in exchange some gold coins to get rid of me
i was supposed to get spouse support for life time because we were married for 15 years with 5 children
at this point i dont have any money..and i dont think its fair that he forced me to sign a paper that i should resign on spouse support because now i am penniless, and the little gold he gave me has been enough to pay my taxe properties, and now he refuses to help me with a small spouse support even though he is very wealthy
i dont have any more money and he sid it stop bad because i signed his paper..
is there a way out for me to get some spouse support again?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Roger replied 2 years ago.
Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'm a Family Law litigation attorney. Thanks for your request.
What did he do to force you to sign?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
he forced me to sign that i would not be entitled to spouse support if i would take a bag of gold coins, and i did because i had no money, then he told me if you dont sign, i will just cut off permanentel your spouse support, just because he decided so...i mean he is a wealthy plastic surgeon and he had no reasons to do that, so under the pressure i signed it and now i have nothing let because the gold was stolen from my house and he just told me basically sign it you have no choice
he knew i am not the type of person to go to court..
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
are you here?
Expert:  Roger replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for the information.
If you can prove that you were forced or placed under duress to sign, it can be set aside based on his pressuring you. But, you will need solid proof to support your claim.....that may be only your testimony and the document he presented to you. If it was notarized, maybe the notary can testify hat you were under duress, etc.
If you want to pursue this, you'll need to file a lawsuit to set aside the agreement based on fraud and duress.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
do you know any lawyer that could help me, because yes, i was forced to sign it in 3 seconds without reading, otherwise i was not getting some gold coins, or he just threatened me to stop paying me just like that!
he said to me i would stop working anyway, but it s been year and a half and his practice is stil on as successful as it was since 1976!
Expert:  Roger replied 2 years ago.
The best way to find a local lawyer is to visit and search for a family law attorney in your area. When you go to the site, click on the link that says "I want to find a lawyer or law firm" and then enter your location and area of practice.
That's the best way to find a lawyer. Once you consult the lawyer, you can discuss the best way to approach this.