How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask FamilyAnswer Your Own Question
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 27288
Experience:  10 + years of handling Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support cases
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
FamilyAnswer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My adult daughter (38) has been living with my husband and

Customer Question

my adult daughter (38) has been living with my husband and me for the past - almost a year. She pays no rent. She does get food stamps and contributes that way, but I never asked her for that. She volunteered to do that. She does not have a job, is on the phone or internet all day and night. Very seldom does she ever do anything around the house. How can I get her to move out? She is very conniving and knows just how to get under your skin. I don't know how to get her to leave. Please help me.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 2 years ago.
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.
Good morning. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. Since this is your home, if you do not want her there any longer, you do have a legal right to ask her to leave. In doing so, you want to give her the proper written notice ( i.e. at least 30 days) and advise her to vacate. If she refuses and still remains, it would be at that point that you need to proceed through the court and file for eviction and get a court order, granting it. She does have rights, in the sense that you can not use self help to get her out by changing the locks or throwing her stuff on the streets, since she can turn around and sue you. However, since that is her current residence, you do need to go through the proper steps and procedures. Ideally, you would be able to work and come to an agreement as to when she will leave but if not, then you need to go through the legal route and process.
Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

Related Family Law Questions