How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask FamilyAnswer Your Own Question
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 27643
Experience:  10 + years of handling Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support cases
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
FamilyAnswer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My daughter when pregnant was in an abusive relationship, my

Customer Question

My daughter when pregnant was in an abusive relationship, my grandson and my daughter have lived with my husband and myself since he was born he is now six years old, we have been their sole support in all aspects including financially. My daughter has not been a mother to my grandson except for a short time last year she was showing so growth in parenting and now she has been gone from our home to North Dakota since the beginning of April, on June 4th is grandson's birthday and she has come home and is saying she is taking him with her back to ND to stay with her at a boyfriends house she has lived with for the last month. She never taken care of my grandson on her own and we do not know the boyfriend. My daughter's history is to see grandson briefly in the day and I am left to care and feed and maintain his safety. Do I have any rights as I do not have custody of Cash.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 2 years ago.
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.
Good morning. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. At this point, absent a court order, the mother has every legal right to take the child and leave your home and relocate and live else where What you have been doing for her and the child over all these years is outstanding but it would not give you a right, in the eyes of the law, to just prevent/stop her from leaving. The reason why I say this is because there is a fundamental right for the parent/mother to make these choices in regard to her child. Now, if you wanted to, you could always file a motion/petition with the court, seeking to obtain visitation or go so far as custody, if it is in the best interest of the child. You would need to show that the child would be put at risk or harm and can not be cared for if left with the mother and placed in a situation to live with the boyfriend. While she may not be fully ready for parenting and thinking about herself over the child, that alone may not be enough for the court to grant you relief, unless you can show a harm caused to the child, which should result in her losing custody. At this point, your best option may be to seek court ordered visitation, if she is not going to allow it or work with you for you to see Cash.
Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 2 years ago.
I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!