How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Samuel II Your Own Question
Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 27011
Experience:  General practice of law with emphasis in family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Samuel II is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My daughter and I would like to change the last name of her

Customer Question

My daughter and I would like to change the last name of her daughter. She is 9 years old and has her father's last name. He has NEVER been responsible, pays no child support and intentionally gets out of it. Are there any ways to prevent him from blocking the change ?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 2 years ago.
This is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard
I suggest that a court will not grant a name change for punitive reasons. In other words, you need a solid reason for the request. For instance, if the Father is an infamous Criminal and the name is ***** ***** that it would hinder her future.
The only way a court will not consider his opposition is if he does not appear or object. Though a court will question him about his concerns and why the name should not be changed. The court is simply going to rule in the best interest of the child. So you need a good solid reason for the change, as I noted.
Please note that I can only provide information for what you ask and in that regard, if you have other questions or need clarification, please post them here. Otherwise, I would appreciate a positive rating as that is how I get credit for my time and information.
Thank you