Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I am trying to take my kids on a cruise. Its already paid for…

Customer Question
I am trying to take...
I am trying to take my kids on a cruise. Its already paid for we leave in 6 days and they papers for additional information about they sperm donors. I have no contact with them and want to know if i will be able to get a court order for travel. I stay in san antonio
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Family Law
6/2/2015
Family Lawyer: P. Simmons, Lawyer replied 3 years ago
P. Simmons, Lawyer
Hi, My name is Philip. I am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.
Sorry, I do not understand what you mean by
and they papers for additional information about they sperm donors.
Can you provide some context?
They want infomation about their fathers which i have no clue about. Have not heard from them in years
Trying to get this done today on my off day
Thank you. Why would you need a court order if the father is not involved in their life? Is there a current court order for custody?
No current custody. But in order to travel i need their consent. But unable to provide that info. Especially that i only have 6 days left. I just want to know if im able to go to the courts and get a order saying it's ok to take to out of country for cruise.
Thank you. Yes, this is possible. That is, it is possible to go into court and have a court order that you are permitted to take the children on the cruise without consent of the other parent.
However you face a tight timeline. Particularly if you do not know the location of the father.
Generally speaking from the time you begin the process to request a hearing until the hearing is scheduled takes 2 to 3 weeks at a minimum. Depending on how busy your County Court is, it could take months or more.
It is possible for court to order an emergency hearing (to hear the case within the next few days), but typically the court will only take such action when the safety of children is at risk. So you may have a difficult time getting on getting in front of the court in the next few days. However, this is your goal then you will want to hire a local attorney who can prepare and present this to the court for you.
Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.
Ok...im about to try and go to the court off now.
You're welcome. I wish you the best of luck.