How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 116706
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in ND and have custody of my grandchild. His father

Customer Question

i live in ND and have custody of my grandchild. His father has taken him to CO on a "trial" bases and has had him for a year. If i feel he is in harms way do i still have the right to bring him back to ND?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If you have a court custody order and you have asked the father to return the child and he refuses, then you have to go to Colorado with your court custody order and you have to file a petition for recognition and enforcement of foreign judgment in the Colorado court and you have to get the Colorado court to order the father to return the child to you. Thus, you need to get an attorney in Colorado and you need to have them file in the court there to get your grandchild back to your custody based on the issues you discovered that make the father unfit.

Related Family Law Questions