Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I live in ND and have custody of my grandchild. His father…

Customer Question
i live in ND and...
i live in ND and have custody of my grandchild. His father has taken him to CO on a "trial" bases and has had him for a year. If i feel he is in harms way do i still have the right to bring him back to ND?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Family Law
6/2/2015
Family Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 3 years ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If you have a court custody order and you have asked the father to return the child and he refuses, then you have to go to Colorado with your court custody order and you have to file a petition for recognition and enforcement of foreign judgment in the Colorado court and you have to get the Colorado court to order the father to return the child to you. Thus, you need to get an attorney in Colorado and you need to have them file in the court there to get your grandchild back to your custody based on the issues you discovered that make the father unfit.