Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

I was wondering how I can make a visitation schedule with the baby

Customer Question
I was wondering how I...
I was wondering how I can make a visitation schedule with the baby's father. The baby is 3 months old and on an apnea monitor.
Right now he can come every other weekend for 3 hours. I do not ask him for child support just diapers, wipes and formula.
I want to write something up this way we can stop fighting about him visiting sometimes he wants to come every weekend when it is convenient for him or sometimes he does not come for 3-4 weeks. It seems to be only when it is convenient for him.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Family Law
6/2/2015
Family Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer

My name is ***** ***** I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.
You have the ability to go to court to get an order granting you sole custody, which means that you will also get child support to help cover all of the child's needs, both now and in the future.
Usually, when one parent has sole custody, the court order lays out times the other parent MAY visit. You should know that the judge won't force a parent to see a child if they don't want to. So, the order will prevent the father from dropping by outside the stated hours, but it doesn't require that he appear during those hours. This is because it's generally believed that a child won't benefit at all from spending time with a parent who's there under protest. But you can at last narrow the hours where the father is allowed to arrive (and get the money your child is entitled to - some parents are more likely to exercise visitation to spend time with a child they're paying for).
This packet has forms and instructions for you. The case is filed in the county where the child lives.
http://www.judiciary.state.nj.us/prose/11492_fd_initial_appl_kit.pdf
If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.
I want to come up with something in writing. Like he can visit Monday-Thursday from 6-8 and every other weekend. Is that fair? I let him come whenever he wants. And stay as long as he wants
That's fine, as long as he agrees to it.
Take a look at this calculator to see how much money you may be able to get as child support. It could be more than you think (and a lot more than what he's spending now on stuff), and that can help you when you're negotiating.
http://quickguide.njchildsupport.org/
I tried using it. But not sure about how to calculate the percentage. And he had another kid. Does that get put into perspective?
For the type of schedule you're talking about, where he's visiting a few hour a week, you can put yourself as 100% parenting time.
The worksheet doesn't take other children into account.
But when I go to court will they? He has his daughter 100% of the time but has no custody over.
No. Every child has a right to be supported by his or her parents, even if there are other children that were born first (or later).
Ok. I just want to be prepare because he is trying to pay the bare minimum.So if I say every other weekend he can come visit at my house from 10am-12pm or 1pm and every other Wednesday from 6-8pm. She stays on my health insurance (im on family care). Would they grant that to me. I just want to be prepared
If he has a job that provides for health insurance, then she'd usually be added to his plan instead. This is because the state wants parents to provide health insurance to children whenever possible, freeing up state-funded plans for the people who don't have other access to insurance.
It also depends on what he asks for. The judge will approve pretty much whatever he both agree to. If there's no agreement, then you have to prove what's best for your daughter.
Will I lose nj family care if she goes onto his insurance?
The fact that he's covering her shouldn't affect your eligibility. She would be removed from Family Care if she's getting health insurance from the other parent.
Does that make him in control of her healthcare? What if I need to call for pre authorization on something, she is on an apnea machine. What if they don't cover it? Sorry for all the questions. I just want to be prepared
No. It just means that he pays for the health care. You're still the sole custodial parent. And if you're the parent with legal custody, you still make medical decisions.
He will Payless child support if the healthcare is under him?
It depends on the judge. Not necessarily.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer