How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 118255
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

To Whom It May Concern: My son was born in Bahrain on 6-6-13 to two US

Customer Question

To Whom It May Concern: My son was born in Bahrain on 6-6-13 to two US citizens. He already has a CRBA, Passport and Social Security card, so citizenship requirements have been met. His father and I have since parted ways and I need to know how to establish my son as a state resident in the US for civil, particularly family law, purposes. My son's father and I still live in Bahrain and are not able to reach amicable custody and support arrangements. I understand that a US citizen cannot remain "stateless" for civil/family law purposes. Which state would establish jurisdiction in our case?
Submitted: 2 years ago via ForeignBorn.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If you son was born to a US citizen and you have filed the CRBA and Passport, he is a US Citizen. So once you are living in the US and you establish your residence in a state in the US, you would file a petition for custody in the court in that state and the court would issue a court order establishing custody, and visitation if the father comes to the US court and objects or fights you on custody. You will need an attorney to represent you in the custody petition.
The state that takes jurisdiction would be the state where you take up your residence in the US with your child.