How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 117359
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

A question lawyer: I am wondering if a father is allowed

Customer Question

A question for lady lawyer: I am wondering if a father is allowed to give up legal custody of his kids. My ex lives in the next town over and we are putting together our divorce in alameda county, california. We are discussing joint physical custody, but we are also discussing him giving up his right to full legal custody ( full legal custody to me) in exchange for a sizable amount of money. Will the judge just give him back legal custody despite our agreement? I'd like to know before I take out the loan....
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My email is:***@******.***
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If the parents agree to a full legal custody arrangement to one parent in "consideration" for a lump sum payment, then this is treated like any other contract and the court would bind the father to this agreement. The only exception would be if for some reason at any point the mother is found to be unfit and in that case the court could change the custody for the best interests of the child.
As long as the mother remains fit and the court finds the consideration for the contract to be fair and that the child will be properly cared for, the court would enforce the agreement.

Related Family Law Questions