How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 116782
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am 64 & just started collecting social security. My ex husband

Customer Question

I am 64 & just started collecting social security. My ex husband is suppose to pay. Me $1000 a month for alimony. My ex only receives social security. Can I receive the alimony that was awarded me in my divorce from Social Security?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only
In order to garnish his Social Security benefits for spousal support, you will have to go to court and file a motion in court for garnishment and the court will have to issue an order to Social Security to pay you your alimony from his Social Security benefits.
So, yes, you could collect your alimony from his Social Security, but you need to file a motion for garnishment in court to get an order to do so.