Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

I am 64 & just started collecting social security. My ex husband

Customer Question
is suppose to pay. Me...
I am 64 & just started collecting social security. My ex husband is suppose to pay. Me $1000 a month for alimony. My ex only receives social security. Can I receive the alimony that was awarded me in my divorce from Social Security?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Family Law
6/2/2015
Family Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only
In order to garnish his Social Security benefits for spousal support, you will have to go to court and file a motion in court for garnishment and the court will have to issue an order to Social Security to pay you your alimony from his Social Security benefits.
So, yes, you could collect your alimony from his Social Security, but you need to file a motion for garnishment in court to get an order to do so.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer