How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dimitry K., Esq. Your Own Question
Dimitry K., Esq.
Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 41221
Experience:  I provide family and divorce law advice to my clients in my firm.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Dimitry K., Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

There, this question comes from Texas. My partner and

Customer Question

Hello there, this question comes from Texas. My partner and I are thinking of making a quick trip to OK to get married as it is the closest same sex marriage state close to us. Is there anything we need to know before we make the trip?
Submitted: 2 years ago via USmarriagelaws.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.
Congratulations on your upcoming nuptials. I am, however, unclear on what specifically you wish to know. Are you seeking requirements as to how to get a marriage license in OK, or whether or not this marriage would be honored and recognized in Texas? Or are you seeking something unrelated to this?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
all of the above
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your follow-up.
For an Oklahoma marriage, you need to bring some sort of an id, such as a Drivers License, certified birth certificate, passport or a Social Security Number. If either of you have been married in the past, please also bring a copy of the divorce decree as it would need to be presented that either or both of you are able to pursue the marriage. You would need to file at the local county clerk's office depending on where you wish to pursue the marriage. This certificate has to be used within 10 days but is good throughout the whole state.
Cost for a marriage license is about $50, but you lower it by about $5 if you fill out this initiative first:
Both of you must appear to file for the certificate. The marriage can be performed by a formal religious officiant such as a member of the clergy, or by the courts in a secular setting.
As far as formal recognition, Texas is not a state that permits locals to perform marriages, nor will it recognize out of state same-sex marriages also.
Hope that helps!
Dimitry, Esq.