How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask FamilyAnswer Your Own Question
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 27549
Experience:  10 + years of handling Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support cases
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
FamilyAnswer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a unique situation. My ex-wife dates the

Customer Question

I have a unique situation.
My ex-wife dates the mayor of Mountainside where my children and ex-wife live. I used to live there.
He is harassing me and invading my personal space in front of my kids on my visitation weekends and on days where I do not have my kids – all in Mountainside and sometimes in Berkeley Heights.
I feel powerless , but have multiple witnesses to the actions who would come forward. I have many friends in town that I have kept the relationship since I left.
Do I have to live with this humiliation?
I would like to understand options.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 2 years ago.
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.
Good afternoon. Can you share with me what he is doing? Is he showing up at the same places as you and at the same time? Does it appear he has any basis to be there? Also, how is he interfering with the children and your visitation.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
He is arm grabbing my children away from me on my visitation in Mountainside while I am there. He is standing next to me and hugging and kissing my children. He pulled one of them away to throw a ball with her. He demands that they do what he tells them for example: Do scroreboard for a basketball game, do books for a baseball game.3 weeks ago, we showed up uninvited to my daughter's pizza birthday party at a pizza place in Berkely Heights and started delgating orders to my daughter and friends against my wishes.He lives in town and is mayor. He runs PAL to which my 3 kids are in a PAL league for basketball. You tell me. I do not believe there is any justification.
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 2 years ago.
Thank you. No, there is no basis or reason for him to get involved. First off, he is not even a step parent. He is merely dating your Ex and has no say in anything related to the children. Second, he has no legal right to interfere with your visitation time. That is yours with the children. If he is with them with the mother, then he can certainly play with them and engage in activities but when you are with them, it is your call. If he is interfering, then you may want to advise the mother of the same and consider going back to court and asking the Judge to go so far as modify the agreement and request that he not be around when it is your time or even stay and sleep in the home, when the kids are present. If the mother wants to allow him to do these things when she has them, that is up to her. However, if he harms or acts contrary to what is in the best interest of the children, you can step in and take the mother back to court.
Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have addressed the mother. She does not care what I think, only telling me that I am through as a parent.Am I able to file criminal harassment charges?Can I get a restraining order?How do I go about doing this?
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 2 years ago.
You would need to obtain the forms and file with the clerk of court. You would need to state the facts within and the Judge would decide if there is a basis to issue a temporary order and then a hearing would be set for a permanent order. If he legally has a right to be in these places and his involvement involves the children, it may be hard to get a RO or have criminal charges filed. You can go to the police and try and a report can be taken but it is at the discretion of the State to proceed.
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 2 years ago.
I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!

Related Family Law Questions