How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alex J. Esq. Your Own Question
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 16721
Experience:  Licensed experienced Attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Alex J. Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 16.5 year old granddaughter who was taken away to Florida

Customer Question

My 16.5 year old granddaughter who was taken away to Florida by her mother from Massachusetts when she was 3, recently contacted her father, my son, and wants to move to Rhode Island with him. She is in a bad situation with her mother in Florida, which has been substantiated by others close to the family. My son, although not married to her mother, was given joint custody of the child by a Massachusetts court when she was much younger, did not fight custody earlier because he did not know where she was and later when he found out was told that she did jot ever want to see him. He backed off and said that he would wait for her to reach out to him. She finally has, although many years have passed, has developed an immediate bond with her father and I through secret social media channels. She fears for her safety should her mother find out, as she is in a bad situation there. What can we do to get her up here permanently?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Hello. My name is***** am a Florida licensed attorney and I will be happy to answer your question.
I am sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation.
While I cannot comment on your specific case, generally, the only way to legally obtain residential custody of a minor child would be to file Petition to Establish / Modify Child Custody with the family court where the child currently resides (Florida) and once the court will review the petition and all the evidence and will determine whether to modify custody, based on evidence and also on what would be in the best interest of the child.
Unfortunately, there is no other "easy ways" or shortcuts to address similar issue, aside from waiting for the child to turn 18 and then the child will be considered legal adult and will be able to make her own decisions.
I am very sorry to provide you with this bad news, but please understand that I do have professional obligation to provide customers with correct answers, even when answer is not favorable to the customer.
I wish you the best of luck and God bless you!
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Do you have any related follow up questions?
If not, please positively rate and accept my answer, so I can be compensated for my work.
Thank you.