How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TJ, Esq. Your Own Question
TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 12207
Experience:  JD, MBA
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
TJ, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can a woman who is separate from her husband file spousal support

Customer Question

can a woman who is separate from her husband file spousal support from ex lover[not husband] whom she has lived with for over one year?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do my very best to answer your legal questions.
No, an ex-lover would never owe support. Only a spouse would owe support. A couple of decades ago, the term "palimony" became popular, but a palimony claim is really just a breach of contract claim. In other words, if you had a contract with your ex-lover whereby he agreed to provide you with support, then you could sue him for breach of contract. That's really what palimony is about. If he didn't make a contractual obligation, then there is no right to get anything from him.
Does that answer your question? Please let me know if you need clarification, as I am happy to continue helping you until you are satisfied.

Related Family Law Questions