Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Can a woman who is separate from her husband file spousal support…

Customer Question
can a woman who is...
can a woman who is separate from her husband file spousal support from ex lover[not husband] whom she has lived with for over one year?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Family Law
6/1/2015
Family Lawyer: TJ, Esq., Attorney replied 2 years ago
TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Hello and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do my very best to answer your legal questions.
No, an ex-lover would never owe support. Only a spouse would owe support. A couple of decades ago, the term "palimony" became popular, but a palimony claim is really just a breach of contract claim. In other words, if you had a contract with your ex-lover whereby he agreed to provide you with support, then you could sue him for breach of contract. That's really what palimony is about. If he didn't make a contractual obligation, then there is no right to get anything from him.
Does that answer your question? Please let me know if you need clarification, as I am happy to continue helping you until you are satisfied.
TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney