Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I am going to be married 3 years in January can I get a annulment…

Customer Question
I am going to be...
I am going to be married 3 years in January can I get a annulment still or do I need to file for a divorce? I was married in Maryland.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Family Law
5/31/2015
Family Lawyer: Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney replied 3 years ago
Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.
Annulments are granted only for very specific reasons, and are based on state law where you reside (not where you married) unless it is the same place. Typically however, unless there was material fraud or other factors in place, you need to seek a divorce and won't be eligible for an annulment. If you can provide me with your location and reasons for wishing to dissolve this marriage I can see if you qualify, but the default position is typically a divorce and not an annulment.
Sincerely,
Dimitry, Esq.