How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 11823
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If your spouse the respondent does not live in Washington

Customer Question

If your spouse the respondent does not live in Washington state, I noticed that one can still file for a divorce. When determining jurisdiction for jurisdiction over respondent what information would be placed there?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Hello: This isCustomer I am a licensed Attorney and I will be assisting you today.
I am sorry, but I do not understand your question.
You need to provide additional information.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
According to information I found a petitioner can file for a divorce in the state of Washington as long as the petitioner resides here even if the respondent lives in another state. To file for divorce in Washington, either you or your spouse must be a state resident. State law doesn't require you to live in Washington for any specific length of time. As long as you or your spouse has established residency, you can file for divorce within the state. So my question is on petition for dissolution of marriage under section 1.7 for jurisdiction which option is checked if the respondent never resided in the state of Washington?
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the information.
Because I do not practice law in Washington State, I am going to opt out of this question and give an Attorney who handles divorce cases in Washington State to further assist you.
Please do not respond to me because doing so would delay a response from another Attorney.
Thank you for your cooperation.