How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 31733
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son's father was ordered to pay child support (In Germany)

Customer Question

My son's father was ordered to pay child support (In Germany) when my son was 2 yrs old. My son is now 32 and his father just showed up on Facebook after disappearing after 2 payments. My question is:- Now I know where The Father is can I sue for back child support
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Roger replied 2 years ago.
Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'm a Family Law litigation attorney. Thanks for your question. I'll be glad to assist.
The Texas Family Code states that a motion to render judgment for past-due child support arrearages must be filed no later than ten years after the date on which (i) the child becomes an adult or (ii) the support obligation terminates under the child support order. Tex. Fam. Code § 157.005.
So, you would have 10 yeas from the 18th birthday of the child to take action. Once the 10 years passes, it would not be possible to collect.
Thus, if your child is 32, the statute of limitations would have expired 4 years ago.