How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask originallawyer Your Own Question
originallawyer, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 855
Experience:  9+ years of experience in divorce, custody battles and mediation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
originallawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Question about harboring a 16 year old "runaway" in texas,

Customer Question

question about harboring a 16 year old "runaway" in texas, when the father had sent him to live with his grandparens
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  originallawyer replied 2 years ago.
Good evening:
What is your question?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The 16-year-old boy had been sent by his father who had sole custody to live with his grandparents basically thrown out of the house and then came to stay with us is that considered a runaway.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The father had the boy committed for psych eval under false pretenses out of meaness and was threatening to have the boy adjudicated under false pretenses. The boy was scared to death of the father after seeing father beat his older brother. That older brother later committed suicide. Father is in retaliation mode after 16 yr old reported him to child labor board for working him on dangerous jobsites for shifts sometimes lasting 12 hours in freezing conditions. Father himself attempted suicide years earlier. Father also swore out false affidavit to DA saying mother tried to kidnap child from a football game which was a lie. Names. & info were provided to DA & complaint was dropped. The false affidavit was a felony act but father was not prosecuted
Expert:  originallawyer replied 2 years ago.
If he's not living with the parent who has full custody, I suppose at any time the parent could call police and have the child returned, and claim that the child has run away. In all reality, if you were to refuse to return the child, the police would get involved, but you'd likely not see any consequences. At worst, the father might claim interference with custody, but that's about it. More to the point, they will probably tell the father it's a civil matter and that he should take it up with the court system.
The problem you're going to run into is if you continue to care for the 16 year old, if you do not have authorization from the father to enroll the 16 year old in school, you won't be able to. Nor would you be able to seek medical care on his behalf.

Related Family Law Questions