Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

Question about harboring a 16 year old "runaway" in texas,

Customer Question
when the father had sent...
question about harboring a 16 year old "runaway" in texas, when the father had sent him to live with his grandparens
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Family Law
5/30/2015
Family Lawyer: originallawyer, Family Law Attorney replied 2 years ago
originallawyer
originallawyer, Family Law Attorney
Good evening:
What is your question?
The 16-year-old boy had been sent by his father who had sole custody to live with his grandparents basically thrown out of the house and then came to stay with us is that considered a runaway.
The father had the boy committed for psych eval under false pretenses out of meaness and was threatening to have the boy adjudicated under false pretenses. The boy was scared to death of the father after seeing father beat his older brother. That older brother later committed suicide. Father is in retaliation mode after 16 yr old reported him to child labor board for working him on dangerous jobsites for shifts sometimes lasting 12 hours in freezing conditions. Father himself attempted suicide years earlier. Father also swore out false affidavit to DA saying mother tried to kidnap child from a football game which was a lie. Names. & info were provided to DA & complaint was dropped. The false affidavit was a felony act but father was not prosecuted
If he's not living with the parent who has full custody, I suppose at any time the parent could call police and have the child returned, and claim that the child has run away. In all reality, if you were to refuse to return the child, the police would get involved, but you'd likely not see any consequences. At worst, the father might claim interference with custody, but that's about it. More to the point, they will probably tell the father it's a civil matter and that he should take it up with the court system.
The problem you're going to run into is if you continue to care for the 16 year old, if you do not have authorization from the father to enroll the 16 year old in school, you won't be able to. Nor would you be able to seek medical care on his behalf.
originallawyer
originallawyer
originallawyer, Family Law Attorney