Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

My fiancé and I had a child 3 years ago. He is not listed on

Customer Question

My fiancé and I had a child 3 years ago. He is not listed on his birth certificate. We are gettin married in October. How to we go about legitimizing him and having his dad's name put on his birth certificate?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Hello: This isCustomer I am a licensed Attorney and I will be assisting you today.
In what State do you reside?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
We live in Georgia.
Thank you for the information:
Your initial post:
Response:Your fiancé needs to file formal acknowledgement of paternity. You would get specific instructions on how to accomplish this through Georgia Department of Vital Records:
(1) Obtain a certified copy of the birth certificate from the state vital records office:
Vital Records ***** NE
Atlanta, GA 30319
Certified copies of vital records may be obtained from the state vital records office (all counties), or the county where the vital event occurred. Each county and the state office has a public walk in service; however, county offices may be closed some days of the week or hours during the day.
{2}Circle all changes you wish to make, submit a written request to be provided instructions/procedures for the desired changes. An additional fee of $10 will be required to make the change. Request should be mailed to Changes Unit, Vital Records,***** NE, Atlanta, Georgia 30319. No information will be provided by telephone for instructions/procedures for change. A review of the record must be made to provide proper instructions/procedures for your individual certificate.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Could we circle his last name to be changed as well or is that something separate? I put mine at the time of birth because I wasn't sure at the time if we were going to get married.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
And once this was filed and changed then he would have the same legal parental rights as me?
Response 1: Yes, you can circle his last name. Circle everything that you want to change.
Response 2: Yes