How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 30151
Experience:  Attorney with experience in family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

You did answer my concern, I just want to know can I

Customer Question

Hi you did answer my concern, I just want to know can I start the paperwork and file with the courts in Mi? Also is there and grounds that she can contest my grandchildren visiting even if I'm paying for the visits. She has married and she continues to
lie to me about the whole situation and also they want to see their dad.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Hello again,
I'm sorry to say, the case has to be filed in the state where the children are living. A judge in Michigan wouldn't have authority over parents and children that live in Maryland, so a Michigan judgement doesn't help you.
She can contest visitation on the grounds that she is the parent, and the law presumes that parents know what is best for their own children. You have to be able to overcome that presumption to show that visitation with you is in their best interests.
Any issues with the father would have to be filed by him, also in the state where the children currently live. You as grandparent unfortunately don't have any standing to enforce the father's right to see the kids.