How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CalAttorney2 Your Own Question
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 10244
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
CalAttorney2 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I would like to have a baby and I have a friend that is willing

Customer Question

I would like to have a baby and I have a friend that is willing to donate sperm. We plan to do it the natural way but we would like to have an agreement for him not to have any parental rights and not obligated for financial assistance. I live in Maryland and I don't know what type of agreement we can use for this.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 2 years ago.
Contact a local family law attorney. You are looking for a sperm donation contract (similar to a surrogate parenting agreement for a surrogate mother), but you will want one drafted specific to your situation rather than getting a generic document online. Most attorneys will charge a small fee for this (you are not asking them to represent you in some long or drawn out litigation matter or difficult transactional matter, so this is a discrete (or fixed) cost that you are looking at, and again, it should not be terribly expensive (when compared to the long term benefit against the risks of having to fight with this person in the unlikely event there is a falling out or dispute later on - or conversely to protect him against a claim for child support later - this would be a nominal fee).You can find local attorneys using the State and local Bar Association directories, or private directories such as;; or (I personally find to be the most user friendly).
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My friend stated he talked to a maryland lawyer and was told maryland does not recognized any type of agreement. I am not undertanding that
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 2 years ago.
Maryland recently contemplated passing a law that does not recognize surrogacy agreements, but currently it is possible to create such a contract see:, I would recommend speaking with a local attorney though. This is not something you would want to base purely off of an online search or even a "Q&A" forum such as this one. The ongoing risks and future liabilities if you create a poorly drafted agreement are simply too high.

Related Family Law Questions