How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Samuel II Your Own Question
Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 27011
Experience:  General practice of law with emphasis in family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Samuel II is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 16 year old daughter recently ran away from home. She did

Customer Question

My 16 year old daughter recently ran away from home. She did not tell us where she went, but we've figured out that she is staying at a certain friend's house. In her parting letter she revealed that she had planned this for some time and that we needn't
worry about her as she is living with adults who will take care of her needs. She has no intention of returning home and based on her present disposition we are not seeking to bring her home. What are our legal responsibilities toward her now? Eventually she
is going to call and ask for things, money, transportation (she doesn't drive yet), registering her for school, buying school supplies, etc. Are we required to provide all of these things even if she is living in another household by her own volition?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 2 years ago.
This is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard
I am sorry to hear of this matter for your family
Yes, you are financially responsible for her until she is 18, which is the age of Majority in NM.
Additionally, you will be responsible for any of her behaviors. So if she should get in any legal trouble, God forbid, you would be responsible and could be sued.
In New Mexico, minors can become emancipated once they reach the age of sixteen and meets one of the following criteria:
1) he or she has entered into a valid marriage;
2) he or she is on active duty in the armed forces; or
3) he or she has been declared emancipated by a court in accordance with the Emancipation of Minors Act
She may Petition the Court to be Emancipated but she will need to show that she is employed, able to pay for her own way and has health insurance