How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 102145
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Ely, My name is ***** ***** short . My wife and

Customer Question

Hi Ely, My name is ***** ***** short for Eleazar. My wife and I were just served papers for medical bills that we just cannot pay at this time. I was just diagnosed with a chronic disease leaving me unable to work and we are going through the motions to get permanent disability income for me. We have no idea where to start or what to do...can you shed some light please? We live in California. I'd have to verify through our insurance that yes all of the bills are valid but I'm pretty sure they are...I was pretty sick there for a while. Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated!
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Ely replied 2 years ago.
Hello Ely. Thank you for requesting me. Please note:
(A) This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein. No attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. This is repeated in numerous disclaimers throughout the site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms; and (B) there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my reply while I am typing out my answer.
I am sorry to hear about this situation.
First of all, is paying by a payment plan an option? Or, even if paying piecemeal, you could not afford it?
Second of all, have you considered bankruptcy as an option, or this is something you really do not wish to do?
This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Payment plan option is an option but the amount we can afford monthly would be minute. Is there a way I can propose an amount? I'm afraid they will set an unrealistic (for our monthly income) amount that is setting us up to fail yet again.My wife filed for bankruptcy once before we were married. If it were an option, we wouldn't be opposed.
Expert:  Ely replied 2 years ago.
Thank you.
1) Yes, an amount can be proposed, either as part of a payment plan or a lump sum. Negotiation is expected and encouraged for parties to settle.
2) However, the first thing that one wants to do is to file an Answer, which avoids a default. Filing an answer sets the matter for trial track months down the line, which gives time to negotiate. See here for a sample answer.
3) The answer must be sent certified mail, return receipt requested, to both the attorney for the Plaintiff, and the Court.
4) You could file for a bankruptcy more than once. See here.
I hope this helps and clarifies. Gentle Reminder: Use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please rate when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces/stars and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith.

Related Family Law Questions