Michael J, Esq.
Michael J, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed Attorney - represented hundreds of clients in criminal cases, family law disputes, traffic issues, and general legal issues. Youth Court Prosecutor.
18210975

I feel my son is being discriminated upon at his school. It seems that everything he does,

Customer Question

I feel my son is being discriminated upon at his school. It seems that everything he does, is wrong and I've always let things go and let the school handle the matter but now I feel they are taking it too far. Just yesterday my son got a haircut a mohawk with a side design, and today he goes to school and is informed if his hair is not cut then he will have to go to ISS until the hair is fixed. First school will be done for the most part this friday. He graduates from 8th grade on thursday. They have scheduled flex week from June 1-5 which he must attend but I still don't see how his haircut will be a distruption to his learning. Although the student handbook does state that mohawks and designs are not allowed, my son is not the first at this school to have a mohawk. It is not distateful and it is a clean cut haircut done at a licensed barbershop. My son seems to be ridiculed by the school far too much. He can't talk in the hallway with his friends because he is being too loud
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Michael J, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Hello -

Thank you for contacting JustAnswer. My name is Michael; I look forward to helping you with your family law issue today.
Hello and thank you for contacting JustAnswer. My name is Michael; I look forward to assisting you today.
Delivering bad news is part of our jobs here at JustAnswer, but it isn't always easy. This is one of those times. :( If the school handbook explicitly states that Mohawks and Designs are not allowed, unfortunately there is nothing you can do as it is clearly against the rules in this case.
To prove he is being "targeted" or his civil rights are being violated in some way, he would have to be punished for something that is NOT against the rules. That isn't the case here.
I hope this helps! If you valued my time, I'd love a positive review. I'll be happy to follow up until you're completely satisfied.
Michael