How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 30167
Experience:  Attorney with experience in family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Wife left in 2000. I reside in Georgia. Where we

Customer Question

Wife left for sc in 2000. I reside in Georgia. Where we originally married., how do I pursue divorce. Cannot find her?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.
If you cannot locate your wife after making reasonable efforts to do so, you can file a Motion for Service by Publication. That means you'd be allowed to post notice of the divorce in the legal notices section of the local paper, and once the ad ran for a few weeks, she's considered to know about the case. From that point, you proceed without her.
Reasonable efforts to find someone may include: Checking property records for the county where you think they live to see if they own real estate, talking to mutual friends or family members, searching social media, or using a background check website. You're not required to hire a private investigator, though. You just have to do what you can to look for her.
If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.